Foot and Ankle

When should you see an orthopedic specialist for foot and/or ankle pain?

Many minor foot and ankle injuries – brought on by too much walking, running or other activity – generally get better on their own if you rest and stay off your feet. Resting, NSAIDS, and applying ice is often a successful course of self-treatment.

But if your foot and ankle pain persists beyond a short period and does not improve with conservative care, or if you don’t know what caused the pain, you might consider seeing an orthopedic foot and ankle specialist. If you have pain and/or swelling that persists beyond three to four days, if it affects both feet and/or ankles, if it covers a wide area or if you are diabetic, it’s wise to consult a specialist. If you’re experiencing pain, tingling, numbness or a burning sensation on the underside of your feet, it’s also wise to seek out a medical professional.

There are a host of common foot and ankle problems. Among the most common are: Achilles tendonitis, ankle or foot arthritis, clubfoot, claw toe/hammertoe, flatfoot, fractures, plantar fasciitis, rheumatoid arthritis in the foot and ankle, stress fractures and sesamoiditis which is pain on the bottom of the foot at the base of the great toe.

Depending upon your specific foot and/or ankle ailment, there are a variety of potential treatment methods. These include: braces and casts, injections, medication, orthotic devices, physical therapy, surgery, and iontophoresis - a process of drug delivery through the skin by use of a local electric current.

Signature Medical Group’s practitioners are board-certified orthopedic surgeons whose expertise, experience and leadership in their profession translate into exceptional medical care and treatment for you.

If foot or ankle pain is impeding your life, contact one of our St. Louis or Kansas City orthopedic specialists to be evaluated and treated today.

Sort by:

Mid-level Providers

Sort by: