Areas of Interest
Hip Labral Tears, Hip Impingement, Hamstring Injuries, Hip Bursitis, ACL Tears, Meniscus Tears, Knee Pain, Shoulder Pain, Rotator Cuff Tears, Shoulder Labral Tears, Shoulder Dislocations, Shoulder Separations, Elbow Ligament Injuries, Elbow Pain
Dr. Brandon Barnds is an orthopedic surgeon and sports medicine physician practicing in Kansas City, MO.
"When I started my medical training, I realized I wanted to become a physician to be able to diagnose a problem, develop a treatment plan, and implement that plan to give my patients the best opportunity for complete recovery from their injuries," Dr. Barnds says.
Dr. Barnds accepts all major insurances. For more information, please visit our Insurance page.
Fellowship: Steadman Hawkins Clinic, Denver, CO
Residency: The University of Kansas Medical Center, Kansas City, KS
Medical School: The University of Kansas School of Medicine, Kansas City, KS
Undergraduate: Washington and Lee University, Lexington City, VA
Certifications & Organizations
- ASES - American Shoulder and Elbow Surgeons, Fellow Member
- AANA - Arthroscopy Association of North American, Fellow Member
- AAOS - American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, Member
- AOSSM - American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine, Candidate Member
Awards & Honors
- Betty & Federico Adler Resident Award for Outstanding Orthopedic Research, The University of Kansas Medical Center, Dept. of Orthopedic Surgery, June 2019
- Kim Templeton, M.D. Award for Excellence in Teaching, The University of Kansas Medical Center, Dept. of Orthopedic Surgery, Kansas City, KS, June 2018
- Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society, The University of Kansas School of Medicine, Kansas City, KS; 2014
- Truntzer J, Vopat B, Schwartz J, Anavian J, Barnds B, Blaine T, Green A. Comparison of Post-Operative Anatomy Using Anatomic Total Shoulder Replacement Versus Soft-Tissue Balancing Total Shoulder Replacement. Accepted with revisions to JAAOS (January 2021).
- Norton N, Barnds B, McIff T, Toby B, Fischer K. The Key Pinch Stress Radiograph to Evaluate Dorsal Subluxation in the Basilar Thumb Joint. Accepted with revisions to the Journal of Biomechanical Engineering; December, 2020.
- Tucker W, Barnds B, Morris B, Tarakemeh A, Mullen S, Schroeppel JP, Vopat B. Nationwide Analysis of Total Ankle Replacement and Ankle Arthrodesis in Medicare Patients: Trends, Complications, and Cost. Foot Ankle Spec. 2020 Aug 24:1938640020950181.
- Norton N, Barnds B, McIff T, Toby B, Fischer K. The Effect of the Joint Capsule and Anterior Oblique Ligament on Dorsal Subluxation of the First Metacarpal During Key Pinch. Journal of Biomechanical Engineering; 2020 Jun; 142(6).
- Barnds B, Johnson A, Rosenthal H, Tilley M. Ipsilateral Vascularized Double-Barrel Fibula Autograft for Limb Salvage in a Pediatric Patient with Lower Extremity Intramedullary Osteosarcoma. The Journal of Microsurgery. 2020 Feb;40(2):247-251.
- Barnds B, Grote C, Mettman D, Templeton K. Liposclerosing Myxofibrous Tumor in a Patient with Prostate Cancer: Case and Review of the Literature. The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery-Case Connector. 2019; Dec;9(4):e0411.
- Barnds B, Morris B, Mullen S, Schroeppel JP, Tarakemeh A, Vopat B. Increased rates of knee arthroplasty and cost of patients with meniscal tears treated with arthroscopic partial meniscectomy versus non-operative management. Knee Surgery, Sports Traumatology, Arthroscopy. 2019 Jul;27(7):2316-2321.
- Barnds B, Bounajem G, Schroeppel JP, Mullen S, Heddings A, Tarakemeh A, Vopat B. Simultaneous Bilateral Knee Dislocation in a Weight Trainer: A Case Report and Review of Literature. The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery-Case Connector. 2019; Jan-Mar;9(1):e5.
- Barnds B, Tucker W, Morris B, Tarakemeh A, Mullen S, Schroeppel JP, Vopat B. Cost Comparison and Complication Rate of Lisfranc Injuries Treated with Open Reduction Internal Fixation versus Primary Arthrodesis. Injury-International Journal of the Care of the Injured. 2018; 49(12):2318-2321.
- Galvis S, Burton D, Barnds B, Anderson J, Schwend R, Price N, Wilson S, Friis E. The Effect of Scoliotic Deformity on Spine Kinematics in Adolescents. Scoliosis and Spinal Disorders. 2016; 11: 42.
- Boolani H, Madhu R, Baryun E, Barnds B, Janga P, Pamulapati H, Lakkireddy D. Remote Magnetic Navigation System Guided Radiofrequency Ablation of Intra Atrial Reentrant Trachycardia in Corrected Transposition of Great Arteries. Journal of Atrial Fibrillation 5, no. 2 (2012).