Take a walk. It’s really good for you.
Health experts say a brisk stroll can help you:
- Maintain a healthy weight.
- Prevent or manage various conditions, including heart disease, high blood pressure and type 2 diabetes.
- Strengthen your bones and muscles.
- Improve your mood.
- Improve your balance and coordination.
The faster, farther and more frequently you walk, the greater the benefits. If you do decide to start walking, experts recommend following these steps:
- Your head is up. You’re looking forward, not at the ground.
- Your neck, shoulders and back are relaxed, not stiffly upright.
- You’re swinging your arms freely with a slight bend in your elbows. A little pumping with your arms is OK.
- Your stomach muscles are slightly tightened and your back is straight, not arched forward or backward.
- You’re walking smoothly, rolling your foot from heel to toe.
Any questions about getting into a routine? Make an appointment today with one of our specialists and we’ll get you going.