OK, so you’ve had surgery to repair your ACL (anterior cruciate ligament) in your knee. What’s next?
Days 1-3 after surgery
- Work on ad/abduction and extension straight leg raises.
- Do weight bearing as tolerated in brace with knee locked in extension.
- Work on knee extensions (heel of pillow, prone hangs.)
- Do hamstring curls.
- Bear weight on knee as tolerated in brace.
- Do knee extensions (prone hangs with two-pound weights if not full, towel extensions, wall slides).
- Place custom brace on knee.
- Add stationary bike, StairMaster, leg press, quarter squats to your workout.
Add swimming, cycling, jump rope, jogging to your workout.
Begin sport-specific activities, agility drills.
You can possibly return to your sports activity with a custom derotation brace. Your surgical knee needs to have strength equal to 90 percent of the nonsurgical knee with no pain or effusion.
Dr. Anderson also recommends making a follow-up appointment with him.