Falls are not a normal part of aging, but they are the leading cause of fatal and nonfatal injuries for older Americans. That’s why Signature Medical Group recognizes the 10th annual Falls Prevention Awareness Day on Sept. 22.
At Signature, you can trust our knowledgeable orthopedic specialists to treat injuries that occur from falls. You can often see us the same day you make an appointment and we offer convenient hours at night and on weekends.
According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention:
- One-fourth of Americans ages 65 and over falls each year.
- Every 11 seconds, an older adult is treated in the emergency room for a fall; every 19 minutes, an older adult dies from a fall.
- Falls are the leading cause of fatal injury and the most common cause of nonfatal trauma-related hospital admissions among older adults.
- Falls result in more than 2.8 million injuries treated in emergency departments annually, including over 800,000 hospitalizations and more than 27,000 deaths.
The National Council on Aging says falls, with or without injury, also carry a heavy quality of life impact. A growing number of older adults fear falling and, as a result, limit their activities and social engagements. This can result in further physical decline, depression, social isolation, and feelings of helplessness.
What’s the best way to prevent falls? These precautions may help:
- Work on physical activity to improve strength, mobility and flexibility.
- Limit sleep-inducing medications whenever possible.
- Get appropriate treatment for underlying medical conditions.
- Install grab bars, remove tripping obstacles, and maintain sufficient lighting.
If you have any more questions, know that our Signature Medical Group specialists are here to help. Make an appointment today.
Choose Well. Choose Signature.