If you’re over 65, be careful. One of the biggest causes for injuries is falls.
One out of three people in the U.S. over 65 falls every year, medicinenet.com says. Falls account for 87 percent of all fractures in that age group.
You can often see us the same day you make an appointment. And we offer convenient hours at night and on weekends.
Medicinenet.com says the most common bones to fracture in falls are:
- The hip, femur (thigh bone), pelvis, and vertebrae (spine).
- The humerus (upper arm bone), forearm, and hand.
- The leg and ankle bones.
What contributes to falls among older people?
- Visual impairment, such as from myopia or cataracts.
- Disorders of the nervous system, such as sciatica.
- Joint and muscle problems, such as those that occur with arthritis.
- Difficulties in gait and balance, such as in Parkinson’s disease.
- Medications which induce sleepiness.
What’s the best way for older people to prevent falls? These precautions may help:
- Physical activity to improve strength, mobility and flexibility.
- Limiting sleep-inducing medications whenever possible.
- Appropriate treatment of underlying medical conditions.
- Environmental modifications such as installing grab bars, removing tripping obstacles, and maintaining sufficient lighting.
Signature Medical Group’s orthopedic specialists can answer other questions you may have. Why wait? Make an appointment today.
Choose well. Choose Signature.