Date Posted: 11/12/2018
Department: Tammie Cooper
Type of Employment: Full-Time
JOB TITLE: Medical Receptionist
GENERAL SUMMARY OF DUTIES: Responsible for high level of customer service to patients on the phone and in person. Coordinate and organize accurate/detailed data gathering and entry into the practice management system to facilitate the smooth running of the healthcare environment and support delivery of quality patient care. Comply with Code of Ethical & Professional Behavior.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Reports to Office Manager.
- Provide high level of customer service, professional conduct, excellent communication, exercise good judgement, works independently and shows initiative.
- Open the office, preparing the location for patient access, address items in courier tub and faxes, stock supplies and log into necessary computer programs.
- Review and prepare charts a minimum of 1-2 days prior to appointment, verify insurance eligibility and obtain necessary referrals to ensure the appropriate information is collected at the time of service.
- Strict adherence to computer/software, security and HIPAA.
- Patient check-in and check-out by obtaining all necessary paperwork for clinical care and billing of services, collecting and processing copay, provide patients with copy of statements, verify eligibility, provide NextMD token, scan and file all necessary paperwork into PM system, update demographic information in PM system and make any follow up appointments.
- Complete end of day procedures, balance cash drawer to NG batch report to envelop and send to business office prior to leaving.
- Answer all phone calls, schedule appointments, transfer calls to the appropriate staff ensuring 100% of calls are answered by a live person. Any voice mail messages should be returned within 24 hours.
- Maintains strictest confidentiality.
- Maintains high level of professionalism, customer service and open communication with clients, coworkers and management.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION: High school graduation or GED.
EXPERIENCE: Minimum of one year registration and/or insurance related experience. Six months of experience in a health care organization preferred.
- Knowledge of Medicare and Third Party Payor insurance industry and terminology.
- Knowledge of the registration process.
- Knowledge of computer programs and applications.
- Knowledge of grammar, spelling, and punctuation.
- Skill in using computer programs and applications.
- Skill in typing 40 wpm.
- Ability to read, understand, and follow oral and written instruction.
- Ability to communicate effectively and clearly
- Ability to examine documents for accuracy and completeness.
- Ability to work effectively with co-workers as a team member.
Requires sitting and standing associated with a normal office environment. Manual dexterity for using a calculator and computer keyboard.
ENVIRONMENTAL/WORKING CONDITIONS: Normal office environment