What is a physiatrist?
If you suffer from pain in your bones, joints or muscles and are looking for a cure without surgery, you might want to know.
A physiatrist (fi-zahy-uh-trist) is a doctor who specializes in physical medicine, rehabilitation and pain medicine. A physiatrist focuses on the body’s musculoskeletal system, which includes bones, joints, muscles, ligaments, tendons, and nerves.
Why see a physiatrist instead of other specialists that deal with pain?
Physiatrists treat patients of all ages with problems ranging from simple low back sprains to complex disorders, such as spinal cord injury. Their approach includes treating the entire patient, not just symptoms.
At Signature Medical Group, our physiatrists work closely with our orthopedic team and provide comprehensive care under a comfortable setting.
Physiatrists take the patient’s medical history, perform a physical and neurological examination, order X-rays or other imaging studies, prescribe medications, and perform spinal injections.
Among the conditions they treat are:
- Back and neck pain
- Joint replacement
- Fibromyalgia and other chronic pain conditions
- Birth defects such as cerebral palsy
- Pain problems following trauma and surgeries
- Cardiac disorders
- Spinal cord injuries
- Brain injuries
- Multiple sclerosis
- Polio and post-polio syndrome
- ALS (Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis or Lou Gehrig’s disease)
Physiatrists do not perform surgery; they utilize nonsurgical treatment methods such as pain medications and injections (such as epidural spinal injections and facet blocks). They also prescribe braces, artificial limbs, and other assistive devices and order diverse therapies such as hot/cold therapy, electrotherapies, massage, biofeedback, traction, and therapeutic exercise.
So if you’re in pain, contact us. You can trust Signature’s knowledegable physiatrists to help alleviate it. You can find a physiatrist at:
- Mid County Orthopaedic Surgery & Sports Medicine – City Place 5
- Mid County Orthopaedic Surgery & Sports Medicine – Progress West Hospital
- Rehabilitation and Spasticity Specialists of St. Louis
- Rehabilitation Medicine Specialists South
- Premier Care Orthopedics & Sports Medicine
- Kansas City Bone & Joint Clinic – Lee’s Summit
- Kansas City Bone & Joint Clinic – Overland Park, Kan.
- Apex Orthopedics & Sports Medicine
Choose well. Choose Signature.