Arthritis is often characterized by the pain and inflammation that comes with it. Many people living with the joint condition often feel powerless to combat the aches they feel.
Interestingly, there are many ways to reduce arthritis inflammation, beginning with food. Illinois Bone and Joint Institute lists five foods that arthritis sufferers should consume:
- Fish. The omega-3 fatty acids found in salmon, tuna, mackerel and herring are great for fighting inflammation from rheumatoid arthritis. Adding three to four ounces of fish to your diet at least twice a week is a great way to reduce pain and inflammation. Other foods that are rich in healthy omega-3 fats include flax seeds and walnuts.
- Olive Oil. Olive oil also is rich in omega-3 fatty acids, which gives it anti-inflammatory properties. Olive oil contains a natural chemical that halts the production of the chemicals that produce inflammation in the body. Incorporating more olive oil into your diet can help you to reduce the pain and stiffness associated with arthritis.
- Nuts. Nuts are a healthy fat that can be extremely helpful in fighting inflammation. While all nuts contain antioxidants that allow the body to fight off inflammation, walnuts in particular contain high amounts of omega-3. Incorporate more nuts into your diet by adding different kinds to your cereal, salad or desserts.
- Greens. Besides being rich in calcium, magnesium, vitamin C and iron, dark, leafy greens such as spinach, kale, parsley and broccoli are a great source of vitamin E. Vitamin E protects the body against inflammation. Make sure to have at least at least five servings of vegetables a day.
- Fruits. Fruits contain a variety of nutrients, antioxidants, fibers, vitamins and minerals that serve to reduce inflammation. Try to add more fruits to your diet by eating five or more servings of fresh fruit per day. Some fruits that are especially helpful for those with arthritis include tart cherries, strawberries, raspberries, watermelons and grapes.
Eating a balanced diet does more than alleviate arthritis pain. It helps you live a healthier and more energetic lifestyle. The dietitians and nutritionists at Signature Medical Group will give you advice on healthy eating. And our orthopedic specialists will treat any pain you have.
Why wait? Make an appointment today with us and start feeling better.